Wednesday 4 April 2012

NaPoWriMo day four: the blues


The challenge for today was to write a blues.  Let me begin by saying that as much as I love the blues, I am not much of a songwriter.  I summoned the talents of blues god B.B. King while I wrote this, hoping the rhythm would make its way through my fingertips.

The Suit

My baby, he wears a damn fine suit.
Oh, my baby, he wears a damn fine suit,
But it’s about time I give him the boot.

My baby, he wears a damn fine suit,
But he leaves me to make the tea
He leaves me to fold the laundry,
My baby, he don’t love me
But damn, he wears a fine suit.

Oh my baby, he made me his own,
Made me his own sweet lady,
But my baby don’t love me,
Standin’ on the corner, wishin’ he were free.

My baby, he wears a damn fine suit,
But he’s not handsome,
Not handsome at all to me.
His hair is terrible,
His nose is crooked,
My baby, his suit don’t look good on him at all.

My baby, he wears a damn fine suit,
Oh my baby, he wore a damn fine suit.

But I’ve found another man,
Who looks better in his suit,
So I’ve decided to give my baby the boot.
(and take off with the suit)

No comments:

Post a Comment